Monday 3 July 2017

Former Chelsea Legend John Terry signs for Aston Villa


John Terry has completed a move to Aston Villa on a one-year deal after leaving Chelsea.

The former Chelsea captain's contract will not see him take up a coaching role at his new club, according to Sky sources, with Steve Bruce preferring the centre-back to concentrate on getting his side back into the Premier League.
The move is one of the most lucrative ever signed by a player in the Sky Bet Championship, and could see 36-year-old Terry earn £4m if he can help secure a successful promotion campaign.




"I am delighted to join Aston Villa," Terry said. "It's a club I have admired from afar for many years - there are fantastic facilities at Bodymoor Heath, Villa Park is one of the finest stadiums in the country and there's a good group of players here, with an experienced and successful manager in Steve Bruce.
 "For me it was just the mental side of playing against Chelsea, it was just too much to get over for me," said Terry.
"I was 22 years at the football club, 22 unbelievable years, I'm very proud of that but this is a new chapter in my life, my career. I wish Chelsea well next season and will be watching out but my thoughts are 100 per cent here."
"I can't wait to get started now and look to help the squad achieve something special this season."

Terry's deal will make him one of the highest earners ever to play in the Sky Bet Championship, according to Sky sources, and although Steve Bruce admitted discussions had started two months ago, he insisted money was not the deciding factor.
"Money wasn't the issue, I have to be fair to John," said Bruce. "We talked about coaching and how we can help him do his badges. It was all to do with football, money was never really mentioned."

Despite Terry's advancing years, Bruce admitted the signing was potentially the biggest of his career, and defended the club's investment.
"We'd have loved to have signed him when he was 26, not 36," Bruce joked. "But he's in excellent shape for his age. It's what he can bring to the dressing room and the whole football club. It's a statement of intent.
"He's certainly the most decorated [Championship player], and when you've got the calibre of John Terry you'll ultimately cost a fair few quid, but he's worth every penny.
"I think John can play beyond this year, but that will be up to him. I think a lot of people have retired too early."




0 comments:

Post a Comment