Monday 17 July 2017

Wimbledon 2017:Roger Federer wins record eighth Wimbledon title

Roger Federer became the first man to win Wimbledon eight times and extended his record to 19 Grand Slam titles with victory over Croatia's Marin Cilic.

 "Holding the trophy now, after not dropping a set in the tournament, it's magical really. I can't believe it yet. It's too much," Federer said. "It's disbelief I can achieve such heights. I wasn't sure I would ever be here in another final after last year. I had some tough ones in the finals, losing two against Novak (Djokovic).

 "But I always believed. I kept on believing and dreaming I could get back. Here am I today with the eighth. It's fantastic, if you keep believing you can go far in your life."

The Swiss third seed won 6-3 6-1 6-4 as seventh seed Cilic struggled with a blister on his left foot and broke down in tears during the second set.
 Federer, 35, finished the contest in one hour and 41 minutes to claim his first Wimbledon title since 2012.

He becomes the oldest man in the Open Era to win at the All England Club.
"It is cruel sometimes," Federer said of Cilic's physical difficulties.
"But Marin fought well and is a hero, so congratulations on a wonderful tournament."
 
Roger-federer-and-Marin Cilic
Roger-federer and Marin Cilic

 "I gave my best. That's all I could do," Cilic said. "I never gave up when started a match. That was my idea today. That's what I did throughout my career.

"I had an amazing journey here. I played the best tennis of my life. I really want to thank my team, they gave so much strength to me. It was really tough today. I'm definitely hoping I will come back here (to the final) one more time." he said

Federer surpasses Pete Sampras and William Renshaw, who won their seventh titles in 2000 and 1889 respectively, with only Martina Navratilova still ahead in terms of Wimbledon singles titles on nine.
He has won two of the three Grand Slam titles so far this year, having returned from a six-month break to win the Australian Open in January.

With 19 major titles he extends his lead over Rafael Nadal in the men's game to four, and now stands joint-fourth on the all-time list with Helen Wills Moody, five behind Margaret Court on 24.

 "I think the younger twins think this is a nice view and a nice playground - hopefully one day they'll understand," added Federer. 

"They come for the finals. It's a wonderful moment for the family and my team.
"This one is for us. Thank you to Wimbledon, thank you Switzerland."



 Source:http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/40625069

0 comments:

Post a Comment